The Asia Foundation is an international organization based in San Francisco with 18 offices in Asia, and an office in Washington, D.C. The Human Resources Department in San Francisco handles all employment and internship inquiries for the entire organization. The Asia Foundation is committed to a policy of providing equal opportunities in recruiting and selecting employees.
The Asia Foundation believes in providing equal opportunities without regard to age, color, country of origin, handicap, veteran status, religion, sex or sexual orientation. For U.S.-based positions, you must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
We are currently seeking qualified motivated individuals for the following independent contractor/consultant positions:
No positions are available at this time.
For U.S.-based positions you must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Strengthening Civil Society and Media in Nepal
The Asia Foundation, a nonprofit international development organization committed to improving lives across a dynamic and developing Asia, is seeking a qualified long-term advisor in the area of Strengthening Civil Society and Media, to serve as Chief of Party for an upcoming project in Nepal.
Candidates should be development professionals with specific sectoral expertise, including but not limited to: activities aimed at strengthening the enabling environment for Nepali civil society and media, enhancing the capacity of Nepali Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) to collaboratively and constructively engage in policy advocacy, and supporting broad-based, cross-sectoral initiatives that monitor, report, and demand greater effectiveness and accountability in governance and public service delivery.
- Chief of Party candidates must have a relevant advanced degree in international development, social science, public policy, or another relevant field of study.
- A minimum of 15 years of progressively responsible international experience managing civil-society and media-related programs in the democracy and governance sector and at least 5 years of senior managerial level experience in a developing country, preferably in Nepal or South Asia.
- Demonstrated capabilities in high-level strategic visioning and leadership, and experience in working effectively with senior government officials/agencies, civil society, local, and national government authorities and with USAID or other development partners and donors.
- Proven technical and managerial experience and skills, preferably in Nepal or South Asia.
- Demonstrated leadership and administrative skills in program management, including managing budgets and personnel, motivating and supervising team efforts and achieving success in complex activities are required.
- Candidates must have experience developing and managing multi-sectoral projects, leading and supervising multicultural and multi-disciplinary teams, and working with donor communities.
- Proven effectiveness in relationships with counterparts, partners and clients is required. Strong interpersonal and organizational skills required.
- Previous experience of managing USG funding preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English required.
All candidates must be able to demonstrate an understanding of value systems, traditions and social norms and practices of different cultures and religions. Excellent consulting skills will be required including: Communication, both oral and written, consensus building, team facilitation, all with an emphasis on results and cultural sensitivity.
Desirable skills include but are not limited to: knowledge and experience of the legal, political, economic, administrative and socio-cultural context of civil society and media programs in Nepal or South Asia; experience undertaking effective consultation with a wide range of national and international stakeholders; and familiarity with USAID program design principles and methods. Excellent written and spoken English are required. Local language capability is desirable. Experience or knowledge of Nepal and/or South Asia is strongly preferred.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position listed in the subject line by July 1, 2015. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V. No phone calls, please.