The Asia Foundation is an international organization based in San Francisco with 18 offices in Asia, and an office in Washington, D.C. The Human Resources Department in San Francisco handles all employment and internship inquiries for the entire organization. The Asia Foundation is committed to a policy of providing equal opportunities in recruiting and selecting employees.
The Asia Foundation believes in providing equal opportunities without regard to age, color, country of origin, handicap, veteran status, religion, sex or sexual orientation. For U.S.-based positions, you must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
We are currently seeking qualified motivated individuals for the following consultant positions:
Ministry of Women’s Affairs Organizational Restructuring and Empowerment Project (MORE)
Policy Advisor Consultant
Contract Duration: 3 Months (60 working days), Start Date: ASAP
Duty Station: Kabul, Afghanistan
Ministry of Women's Affairs Organizational Restructuring and Empowerment (MORE) is a 3-year project implemented by The Asia Foundation in Afghanistan. MORE's objective is to strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Women's Affairs (MoWA) and the Directorates of Women's Affairs (DoWAs) to perform their primary functions and carry out their organizational mandate.
The international Policy Advisor consultant will work with and support and provide technical advice to the national Policy Specialist and Gender Specialist to strengthen the Ministry's policy, planning and policy analysis processes as policies are also approached from a gender perspective for the Ministry and technical advisory between MoWA and with other Ministries are developed for joint policy development and advocacy
The specific responsibilities of the short-term consultant will be as following:
- Review Policy process with the MORE Policy Specialist and its development and analysis at MOWA – provide expert advice and direction on the application of policy, recommend improvements for the Ministry and Develop a clear policy strategic planning process for the Ministry so that the Policy and Planning Directorate has improved policy functions;
- Technical support to create a process at MoWA to regularly monitor relevant policy developments to identify potential issues, opportunities, and challenges to inform and develop ideas for evidence-based policy solutions at MoWA and potential partnerships with other Ministries;
- Provide technical advising to MoWA and MORE on developing policies and advocating within Government agencies, state and non-state actors and stakeholders for its implementation;
- Provide guidance and advice to facilitate policy advocacy capacity building processes and training sessions at the Ministry that is aligned with MoWA’s Policy mandate;
- Provide technical support to the policy and gender specialist and Policy and Planning Directorate at MoWA in ensuring that policies at MoWA are also approached from a gender perspective for the Ministry – as per the National Action Plan for the Women of Afghanistan (NAPWA).
The Successful candidate will have clear analysis skills and prior experience of policy analysis and/or policy development, preferably in a Government setting. Experience of working in a relevant role in the civil service or wider public sector, or in a think-tank, is desirable.
- Master's Degree in either International Development, Social Policy and Analysis, Economics or related field;
- 10+ years of work experience in providing policy advice and technical assistance in national development/poverty reduction/social development policies (with a gender perspective preferred);
- Experience and knowledge in policy advice to government agencies to design or improve the policy framework is preferable;
- Excellent advisory, influential and communication skills and ability to deal with a variety of people and situations;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced project environment;
- MS Office package skills;
- Afghanistan experience a plus;
- Excellent English skills required; Dari/Pashto ability a plus.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit their resumes with a detailed application letter and contact details, no later than December 21, 2013 to email@example.com. Please clearly indicate "MORE-Policy Advisor Consultant" in the subject line.
Only short-listed candidates will be informed.
Women are encouraged to apply